BOOK YOUR VISIT         DONATE         CONTACT

FRIENDS OF ROBERT H. TREMAN PARK

Robert H. Treman Park is located at 105 Enfield Falls State Rd, Ithaca NY 14850

The Friends of Robert H. Treman State Park was incorporated as a 501(c)3 educational, non-for-profit organization.  It is chartered through the State Education Department of the State of New York.  Its purpose is to conduct educational and history-related programs, services, and activities in keeping with the nature of the park, to assist in fund raising activities, the purchase of objects, equipment, and supplies for the benefit of the park, and to support this park for the benefit of the local community, the residents of the State of New York, and the general public.

In addition to monthly meetings at the park, the Friends organization holds a winter lecture series, gives tours of the Mill and the Upper Park, publishes occasional newsletters, provides a bird list for park visitors, and prints a “family work sheet” for parents and children visiting the mill. Since 1998, the Friends have worked in partnership with students from Cornell University and Professor Sherene Baugher to undertake archaeological work focusing on the former hamlet of Enfield Falls located in the Upper Park.  This partnership has resulted in new permanent exhibits in the historic mill and the creation of permanent outdoor archaeological exhibits and a walking tour brochure.

The Friends also host annual Fall Heritage Days at the park with tours of the mill, the gorge with its waterfalls, and the archaeological sites. The Heritage Days include information about the years 1933 to 1941, when the CCC Company 1265 Camp SP6 was located near the mill.  The CCC boys learned carpentry and masonry to help create park buildings and the many trails that make the park special.  They were also crucial to cleanup and repair at the park and in the city of Ithaca after the Flood of July 1935. Visit the CCC room on the first floor of the mill to learn more.

The Friends' funds come from membership dues ($10 per year) and donations as well as the group project to sort and recycle bottles and cans left at the park.  Members volunteer their time to accomplish this task, which often raises over $1000 in a summer.   


Portrait of Robert H. Treman

In addition to giving general support to the park, the Friends apply for grants to fund exhibits in the mill museum, create publications, and do preservation projects on the Old Mill itself, such as fire protection, painting, and roof restoration.

Website: www.tremanparkfriends.org


Physical Address

Located inside the Tompkins Center for History & Culture

110 North Tioga Street

(On the Ithaca Commons) 

Ithaca NY, 14850 USA


Hours

Exhibit Hall -  Thursday-Saturday 10am-5pm / Sunday - 10am-3pm - CLOSED M-W

Cornell Local History Research Library & Thaler/Howell Archives - By appointment only. Please contact archives@thehistorycenter.net

Contact                                                     

Email: Refer to Contact page for individual emails, General inquiries to community@thehistorycenter.net

Phone: 607-273-8284

Web: thehistorycenter.net

Find us on social media @tompkinshistory

© Copyright 2020 The History Center in Tompkins County

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software